Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Where'd The Oil Go?

I think one of the most pressing problems is the oil shortage that is currently affecting the American Economy. While I understand that the oil crisis is probably just one small aspect of the detriment to the earth's ecology, I think that the implications connected to the oil crisis could be very destructive in the future.
While problems with the sea level, global warming, and animal extinction probably will cause just as many problems in the end, I think the oil crisis gets more attention, and more stress is put on oil than on other commodities. Unlike the issue of carbon gas emissions and polar bear endangerment, the oil crisis is currently wrecking havoc on our way of life, not only by affecting the world's economy but also by affecting the balance of power. I believe that, attempting to procure more oil will only lead the United States, and other wealthier nations, into unjust wars with countries that have high oil stuffs, like Iran.
The entire idea of the haves and the have-nots will change as oil gets harder and harder to come by, and with the change I fear that war will be inevitable. The stress which our nation and others puts on oil leads me to believe that nations will do anything to procure the resource, as it seems to be vital to survival.
While I do believe that there are many pressing problems, and that each of these issues has far-reaching implications for the earth, I believe the oil crisis could be one of the most dangerous, because its an issue with the most potential to entice short-term violence between nations.

(Tess Nowadly)

No comments: