Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Easy, Lazy, No Green

I totally agree with the author of the article, Michael Maniates. Most of the books and booklets promoting the improvement of global environment usually suggest very easy things, unplugging electronical devices when they are not needed and taking a bath rather than taking a shower and so on. Certainly, if everyone of us could do these things, that would help the global environment a bit, but not everyone does that. I usually unplug everything in my room when I go to bed, but my family members do not do that at home. It is just because unplugging everything in my house is not easy at all while unplugging everything just in my room is quite easy. Throwing a bottle or can in a recycle box is easy, but taking bottles and cans from trash can is timeconsuming. People are seeking the easiest way and becoming more lazy. Also, I often think that the government are just telling people to do something good for the global environment and do not have strong solutions to improve the global environment. I was really moved when I saw the speech made by Severn Suzuki in Brazil in 1992. She pointed out that many adults, especially world leaders, should act for the improvement of the global environment without thinking about their own profit. Hopefully, someone who can really take the global environmental issues seriously will stand up and lead the world to better environment.

No comments: