Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Technology can save us... maybe

The reading I read for my International Economic Policy class says that technology can save us from the environmental crisis. The text was, I think, well supported. What the text exactly shows is that many developing countries are much polluted than developed countries as developing countries use older technology which is often harmful to the environment. Those who use new technology is developed countries. Further, I just read an article from Forbes.com yesterday. The article shows the world's dirtiest cities (http://www.forbes.com/2008/02/26/pollution-baku-oil-biz-logistics-cx_tl_0226dirtycities.html), and I found that most of them are developing countries. Most of the pollution are water and air pollution caused by poor technology. Back into the text from my economic policy class, it also supports its argument by saying that China's pollution has been decreasing from 1990's. This means, as developing countries become more advanced, they will be less polluted. I think that is true. I believe that techonology can save the earth, but it does not mean that domination of technology is good for the environment. Overusing technology can certainly harm the environment. Thus, what I suggest is that we, as consumers of technology, should understand which technology is good for the environment.

No comments: