Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Blind Faith?

While I agree with Michael Maniates that the "easy" ways to go green and try and help the environment won't cut it in the fight against environmental degradation, I think that he may overestimate the American public. Many people would view more difficult and extreme measures to reduce consumption as infringements upon their inherent rights as Americans. Quite simply, people believe they have a right to drive those gas guzzling SUV.
I think that telling people easy and simple ways to help make their lives greener is a good way to try and encourage change. If people realize how easy it is to make these small changes perhaps they will make larger, and more difficult changes in their lives, but we must start small. Especially for the SUV drivers of our country. And believe me, there's still quite a few of them.
I also think that just because our government isn't explicitly telling or ordering us to make big changes in our lives we won't make them. People who are excited and energized by the opportunity to work together as a community to overcome challenges are the same people who would seek out ways to make a bigger difference, even if it requires bigger sacrifice.
I do agree with Maniates's argument that people should be informed of the bigger and more difficult ways that they can make a change. Environmental education is lacking in today's schools, and in the media. I think that educating people about the consequences of their actions, and telling them ways they could decrease their negative increase on the environment could help to motivate more people to become environmentalists who do more than just the easy things.
Still, I believe that too many environmentalists peach against these easy fixes. But the fact of the matter is a little is better than nothing at all, and by making these small changes people really can make a difference. For me, the biggest reason why I might not adopt a greener lifestyle would be because I feel like one person can not make a difference. Instead of telling us that small changes don't matter environmentalists should be telling us yes they do help, and bigger changes help even more. Maniates touches on this view but I would have liked him to really endorse this idea. It's important to get everyone involved and engaged.
(Tess Nowadly)

No comments: