Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Fantasia

The most thrilling, enchanting engagement I've had with the non-human world? But there have been so many and they're each so unique and special--how could one even compare?
I love the earth. I love the ground, I love the trees, and I love the leaves. This morning, I was sitting in my Arabic class in the second floor of Ward and literally was staring at the leaves, with their autumn colors, blowing in the wind. I was not even outside to partake in the cool breeze or the crisp air, and yet, even through the window, through vision alone, I was engaged in a thrilling, enchanting, magical experience with the beauty of the non-human world. The colors, shapes, and swift movements of the leaves against the greyish blue backdrop of the sky stirred deep within my soul. After that vision, how could I worry about anything?
Nature speaks to the soul and has an ability to heal nearly all wounds. Humans must protect nature because in protecting nature they are truly helping themselves. Pain, death, stress, and destruction are constantly complicating our lives and nature truly is the safest, most healing refuge we have. To allow our magic to be destroyed, to cause pain to that which removes our own, is something that humans have a responsibility not to allow to happen. The earth is too precious and sacred, not just with its own systems, but for the mental, physical, and spiritual healing of humans. We have to do more to protect the earth, if for no other reason (although I have several other reasons), it means protecting ourselves.

No comments: