Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving Discussion with my Dad

So while I was driving up to Massachusetts with my Dad to go to my Grandparents for Thanksgiving (we did so much driving over break... i really increased my carbon footprint and I feel really guilty about it) dinner, so I decided to talk to him about the current state of the economy and how the environment can offer us a way out of recession. I thought it was important to talk about it in terms of economy because my Dad is a big business man and a market liberal who thinks the market will just take care of everything. We discussed Obama's ideas about the creation of green collar jobs, using the market as a tool for change and government policies. While my Dad isn't an environmentalist and loves his chain saw and cutting down trees in my back yard, he does believe that the market will change to accommodate environmental reform but he thinks that its going to be a lot harder to make this change happen quickly. He says there's enough doom's dayers out there, like me, to remind us that we need to take quick environmental action, that the change will eventually take place. My Dad's biggest concern is where is all the money going to come from to create these new green collar jobs and green industries. He doesn't like how the US is printing money to try and get us out of recession, since it just creates deflation. He wants a lot of Washington programs and lobbyist groups to be cut since they are a waste of money. It was an enlightening conversation and it's always interesting talking to him, because he relates everything back to the economy, which is something I'm starting to grasp. Overall I enjoyed my conversation and I know I'll get him to invest in these new green industries once they emerge, because no matter what they have to be our future.

No comments: